Saturday 2 February 2008

A long time and a tidy up

Well, to say it's been a long time since I did anything on oratechinfo.co.uk would be an understatement. To be perfectly honest, it's been a busy few months with one thing or another, so I simply haven't found the time. Anyway... enough of the excuses.

The recent changes have been mostly tidying up of dead links and slight wording changes. The main page has had a couple of the links to technical articles removed, one of which was a link to Howard Rogers' excellent article on index clustering factors. This was removed because Howard has taken the decision to remove public access to dizwell.com, which is a shame, but his reasons are his own, I guess. I'm not privy to what happened to warrant this change.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've modified the message queueing, NULLs and FGAC pages, removing a few dead links. I've also expanded on the handling of multiple namespaces within XML documents via SQL/XML, removing a few dead links while doing so. The main thrust of the SQL/XML change is the difficulty in extracting information from XML documents where there are two or more namespaces defined. I've shown an example of doing this using the XPath local-name() function, but, as I explain in the section, there's no way of doing this which is logically correct, you have to introduce mechanisms for "ignoring" the namespace at some point, which is what
local-name() does.

I've also changed the XHTML / CSS and firefox links on the front page, removing the thunderbird
logo as well. The main reason for this was that I think they look better (especially the firefox one), and I don't really use Mozilla Thunderbird anymore, plus who am I to dictate what email client you use? ;-)

No comments: